when in almo..

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

hello hello, we meet again oh blog of mine. 

Today is a day to tell you about my recent escapade in the one and only Almo, Idaho. Where is Almo you may ask? In the middle of absolutely nowhere, that's where, population 124.  However, though small in size and remote in location, we had a seriously good time there while we visited the Ward family and their cattle ranch. 

Friday morning we packed up our cars and set out on the open road. Upon our arrival to the Ward home we took the customary home tour before heading out to get our first taste of "ranch-life", and no I'm not talking about Hidden Valley. We spent some time getting to know a few of the horses before my dear, sweet Samma taught us our first cowboy skill: roping. 
I don't wan't to brag (let's be real I kind of do), but I roped this bad boy on my very first try! 


Next on the agenda was some free climbing in the world renowned City of Rocks. Pro climbers come from all over the world to scale those rocks, and we as group definitely held our own. 


Post climbing our day was filled with backyard volleyball, a trip to Almo's only restaurant, and a stop by the Durfee Hotsprings. Yes that is its real name, try to contain your laughter. It was a splendid place!

Saturday started off rough, but finished strong. After some mysterious car troubles and an increasingly flat tire, we finally made it to Junction where we would start the real "ranching experience". Work for the day consisted of preg-checking heffers, and well.. testing the bulls for blanks if you catch my drift. I had my hands at the rear ends of cows for a couple of hours that day, and though it was disgusting I must say.. I quite enjoyed myself. Getting down and dirty was fun, and made me consider "professional cow-girl" as a future profession. 


To be a cowgirl, naturally you have to know how to ride.. so Samma put us up on some horses while we were there too! 


It was a day full of work, but one that I know we all enjoyed very much! When our work as "ranch-hands" finally ended we retreated back to the Ward home to clean up before the night's festivities. We crammed (which was a common occurrence over the weekend) into the Yukon and headed to nearby Albien to tour the haunted colleges there. After all, who doesn't love a good haunt during this time of year? 

Overall, I can't think of a better way to have spent Fall Break. I was with my favorite people, doing things that not many can say they have. We went to Almo, and we did as the Almo-ans do. 

until next time-
lakintate

No comments:

 
site design by designer blogs