peru #6.

Monday, June 18, 2012

Where has the time gone? I can't believe I'm going on six weeks down here. The time truly flies when you're having fun. So let's get to it shall we?
This week was a productive one. Things with the Juana project are really moving along. We started our project proposal for her workshop and successfully gained the community's support on the matter. The people in Juana's community, La Campina, are all such hard workers. They are anxious to break ground and to improve their community. They are hard working and humble people that recognize our desire and capability to help them. They in return, are eager to contribute their skills and knowledge as well. Together we're accomplishing some great things and I have no doubt that by the end of the summer Juana and her association (Virgen Del Pilar) will have a functioning workshop and the beginnings of an international social enterprise. A lot needs to be done, but together we're going to do it!
Let's step out of the office for a second shall we? Here in Peru we like to work hard, but we also like to play just as hard. I'll hit you with some highlights. 
1. This week we got some new recruits and we had a great time showing them the ropes of Peru. It's kind of cool being the "experienced" one. I would be lying if I said I didn't feel pretty cool. 
2. Street Volleyball. The streets are so narrow here, and although soccer is the usual choice down here this week we stretched a net across our street and played for a couple of hours. I sure do love me some volleyball. 
3. We through Elizabeth (a super cute girl in our ward) her very first birthday party! She turned 22 and had oddly enough (especially for a Peruvian!) never had a birthday celebration. We danced the night away and somewhere in the middle I accidentally knocked her first and only pinata down. Embarrassing? Yes. I felt awful. I am just to big for these tiny Peruvian spaces. 
4. I got hit by a motorcycle. True Story. Don't worry, I'm fine. It just side swiped my elbow. 
5. Team Help International. A group of volunteers has been working all summer to organize a women's soccer league here in Piura, and in an effort to raise awareness on the subject they arranged a tournament on Saturday night. The tournament included 4 teams, one of which was compiled of Help Volunteers. We all got decked out in what we declared our team colors and headed to the field. Long story short, the night was a smashing success! We won the tournament! It was awesome! Our girls played so well, and nobody in the pride section left with a voice. Today we woke up to find a whole page of the local newspaper dedicated to us. Can you say cool? I made the newspaper in PERU! 

This experience has been more difficult than I ever imagined it could be, but weeks like this make it all worth it. I trulyam on the adventure of a lifetime! 

Until next time.

-lakin

No comments:

 
site design by designer blogs