priceless

Monday, August 15, 2011

Groceries/Misc. Supplies+New Pair of Hiking Shorts+Water Shoes
$25.00
In'N'Out before the big hike
$4.00
Gas to make the big trek from Ltwon to The Canyon Grand:
Aprx. $50.00
Rent for two nights:
$80.00

Hiking Havasupai with great friends and a 20lb. pack:
Priceless.

Let me walk you through some of the highlights.

1. Melanie's parents were in a rush, so we literally got dropped off the side of the road with our camping packs. There we were looking like two high class bums, right by the freeway awaiting our chariot to Vegas.

2. We made a pit-stop by the Hoover Dam. Woot it was thrilling. And Windy. And HOT!

3. Unfortunately I don't have any photo's of this next bit, but it is definitely worth mentioning. During our drive to the trail head we passed through what I can only describe as a scene from a Horror Film, or possibly a rap video. That scene? Peach Springs Arizona. Sounds Peachy right? Wrong. It was a straight up ghetto, and one that made me fear for my life. Though we were the ones driving I feared we might get caught in a drive by shooting. As in we drive by, and people shoot us. Here we changed into our hiking gear, fixed our packs, and filled up on water. Just after Peach Springs we hit up the next scene from the movie: Averynns Inn. I don't know how to spell it exactly, but let me describe the scene. This is the Motel that couples go to on roadtrips, and where they unknowinly will get slashed to pieces. It was skeeetttch, but so much so that I enjoyed driving around with my head out of the sun roof while Shane tried to find some way to get gas-which we eventually did and then hit the road again.

4. The hike in. It was 4:30 a.m. and after an attempted three hours of sleep in the car ( It was straight up awful, I think I caught 20 minutes max) we hit the trail.
Back Row: Larry Bucio, Jaron Davis, Trevor Davis, Mandy Morgan, Shane Jonson
Front Row: Melro-aka Melanie Rossiter, and Myself

5. Havasupai Falls. After five and a half hours of hiking with my 20lb pack we finally made it to Havasupai Falls. The pictures i'm about to post simply do not do them justice, but they'll have to do for now. They water was so clear and such a bright blue I nearly confused myself to be on some tropic island. Then I felt the desert heat surround me and it was all I could do to set up camp before we took off for the falls. We lounged in the pools of water, played some truth or truth ( since none of us could muster any movement for a dare) and naturally some "never have I ever".
Havasupai Falls. We swam in those pools!
On our hike in.


Chillin out Maxin in the bottom of the Falls


The Girls and I right under the falls!

#6. Mooney Falls. Mooney was just past all of the camp sites and to get there you had to scale a serious mountian. No joke it was straight up and down, skeeetttchhy! In a completely different way than Peach Springs of course. We had to hike through a few little caves and then hold on to these loose chains for dear life until we reached the bottom. Once we did however, it was worth every near death step. We played around in this waterfall and a smaller one neighboring it for some solid time the our first day there, and if I had to pick one time-this one would be my favorite of the trip.
Mooney Falls

The Girls! Don't ask about my hair.. I don't know what it's doing



climbing down the caves


You haven't lived until you've danced at the base of a waterfall. Just Sayin


I just love this picture. :) This was the waterfall right next to Mooney.

#7. "Floating" The river with my girl Mel-Ro. On our hike in Trevor found a roaming flotation device that Mel and I decided to take down the river time and time again. We failed a few times, but in the end victory was ours!!

Yes I put my lips on the random device. Numerous times. Obviously not a germaphobe.

Mounting the Floaty


Falling off of the floaty..

Obviously our success couldn't be documented because we floated away too fast.

#8. The Rope Swing. About a quarter/maybe half mile past Mooney Falls there lies a rope swing. Due to the recent flash floods the water there wasn't super deep, but we made do and each of us had a go at it. It was small and what some might call "rink-a-dink" but fun none-the less!

#9. This one's a dousy. Literally. I will share a more detailed post of this later, but long story short we had a man down on day two of our trip.

#10. The Hike Out. We left our campsite at 1:30 this time in hopes we would miss the Sun during our hike. We did just that and made it out of the canyon in only five and a half hours! That is only 30 minutes longer than it took us to hike in! Most of the hike was relatively flat, but it was also in the dark which added it's own element of difficulty. We saw more shooting stars that night than I have quite possibly seen my entire life. The night sky was gorgeous! The last mile and a half of the hike was brutal, nearly straight up switch backs the whole way. We were so tired ( we were seriously sleep deprived this whole trip). We longed for real food. We made it. The feeling of accomplishment we all had when we finally made it out cannot be compared to any other. It was awesome!
Yes that is my vicory face.

So there you have it. Havasupai everyone! If you haven't been, go. You'll be so glad you stopped by. The pennies spent are few, and the memories priceless. 

No comments:

 
site design by designer blogs